Either I Should Join the King Saud University for my Higher Studies or NOT?

King Saud University is a renowned university located in Riyadh city of Saudi Arabia. It is the University which was founded at first in Saudi Arabia in 1957.

Different departments of the University offer scholarships in Master and PhD degrees through Deanship of Graduate Studies.

study-at-ksu-riyadh

Now the questions are Should I Join KSU? and Why Should I NOT Join KSU?

For the answers of these two questions lets we turn to our worthy seniors of KSU and ask them what and how they answer these questions.

Dear Seniors,

It is requested that please record your precious views regarding the “Study at KSU-Riyadh” through our E-Mail (E-Mail ID: paknewspage@gmail.com) or you may comment below.

We will share your comment by your name here on this page. And this activity will definitely help the many students internationally.

We, a team of PakNewsPage.Com, really need some time (about 5 to 10 minutes) from your busy schedule. And we are very much positive about your response.

Best Regards,
Admin

Read More; King Saud University (KSU) Scholarships for International Students 2017

~~~Read the valuable comments of KSU Students/Researchers~~~

~Mr. Hafiz Saqib Khan~ (From PAK)

(PhD Research Fellow at KSU)

Yes, if someone get a scholarship at King Saud University then he should avail the opportunity. According to my experience, its one of the good place for increasing scientific knowledge and research skill, especially for Ph.D. studies.

I shall Recommend you to join us.

~Mr. Nisar Ahmad~ (From PAK)

(Masters’ Scholar at KSU)

I am writing my response with the hope that this will help you all (new applicants) to make your decision easy.

We all know, when anybody apply for a foreign degree/or scholarship, many factors control the selection of a specific country and the university itself i.e. University Ranking, Research Facilities, Funding or stipend, Expenses vs Savings (if any, if possible), culture and last but not least the total timing for the degree completion. These factors differ from person to person and region to region. As, for some, research quality is much more important than timing, while for others funding and culture is more important than the ranking of university.

In short, if you have already applied and got acceptance from King Saud University (KSU)- Riyadh, which shows that now what you want to listen from us is much different from that what you would like to listen before your application.

I would like to quickly highlight some aspects to make your final decision easy. (Even if you are a new applicant, consider these before your application, this will be equally important for you as well)

For Master or PhD students, the most important thing is enough funding, quality of the research and the timing or duration of degree.

1. Funding for Master Students

From KSU you will get Free Air Ticket from your country (i.e. Pakistan) to Riyadh. Free Student Housing, Free Medical, Furnishing Allowance for every newcomer and on above all this, you have 890 SR stipend per month. And you will also enjoy 3 months holidays with a free return air ticket annually from the university as well.

Wooww, it’s looking like a dream comes true. Yes! it is and it could be, But wait…

The most important from my side (and is considered the same worldwide) is the quality of research here, that is, not so bad and not to good, it is in between. It mostly depends on your abilities and interests. But you will have enough facilities to produce high impact factor ISI research papers. Well the last and the 2nd most important is the timing. This is little disturbing. They have a previous record (and environment or you can say it as a trend) of 3 to 3 and a half year for a MASTER’S DEGREE. As you will have course work of about 26 to 32 credit hour course work (it is different in different departments). It takes usually 1.5 years (3 semesters). I would like to quote here, for some people this last condition is acceptable. So, is it for You?

2. Funding for PhD Students – almost same benefits as for master student.

3. Funding for Master/PhD Researchers

If you are being offered a research VISA for your degree, than you will get about 2,000 during Master and 2900 SR during PhD (Yes, its enough as compared to 890 SR for students), but you have to pay some fees i.e. renewal of your ID card (they call it Iqama) and exit re-entry visa fees etc and some other expenses as well.

As for timing, you have 1.5 years (3 semesters) for coursework, than 1 semester for “Comprehensive Exam (only for PhD students)”. You must have to pass this exam. If you fail you will get one more chance to clear it. But, if you fail again, you are wasted. Wait .. wait… What? Yes you heard right. If you fail comprehensive exam, all your efforts and timing just wasted, and you have to go back or search for some other opportunity all from the start. And be careful, in engineering and agricultural sciences we have some examples as well. Reasons could be any, but we have examples of failure. And if you pass, you have 1 semester for proposal.. and than go for research.. hopefully, you will try to finish your PhD in 4 years 🙂 🙂 (Oooh .. why not go to china for a 3 years PhD degree 🙂 🙂 ).

4. Yes, one extra benefit that I know, you have hidden there somewhere in your mind, you can do Umrah by yourself. KSU also take some students for Umrah and Hajj free of cast, but not everyone get this free opportunity.

If you have no cultural or timing issues and you have mid to upper good GPA and and university is not asking for good IELTS bands. Then that’s it what you would like to be inspired to come and join King Saud University (KSU), Riyadh. I hope till now you have already made your mind 🙂 if so, then come on.. we are waiting for you.

(I am here at KSU , and do not judge me wrong, there were my own priorities that were not based on my CGPA=3.54 silver 2nd position or IELTS=6.5 + GRE + 1st prize for best student paper from my BS research at ATC 2012 Islamabad).

If you ask me, why should I not come to KSU.

I would say “Save Your Precious Time”, if you have already wasted your time, and you have really good GPA/CGPA, and university is asking for IELTS bands. If you have good GPA and a professional degree (especially any engineering or practical professional physical sciences degree i.e Physics, chemistry, maths or geology etc) then please give it time and search for some scholarship in some European countries or even why not go to china. It is really easy now than 3 years back. On Facebook there are many groups that are posting about recent and latest scholarship opportunities i.e “Scholarship Network” follow/join them. But the only demand is, you have to give it time. Finding scholarship is not as easy as it is for applying here for KSU. But believe that it is not as difficult as it looks at the beginning. Decision is yours. If you need help we all will help you. I will, if nobody else.

From here now on, ask ALLAH for final guidance. May ALLAH make it easy for all of us.

Finally I shall “NOT Recommend” you to join KSU.

~Mr. Muhammad Mubushar~ (From PAK)

(Masters’ Research fellow at KSU)

KSU is heaven for those who are free (jobless) or don’t have any good job. And also good for those who have penalty of time in their life.

I agree with Mr. Abubakar Zia and Mr. Nisar Ahmad who draw a very good picture of the University.

“NOT Recommend” to any one to join KSU if you want to complete your studies as soon as possible, as you have lot of opportunities other than this where you can complete your studies in due course of time.

~Mr. Eid Muhammad Khan~ (From PAK)

(Masters’ Scholar at KSU)

This is a good scholarship if you have an offer for Phd studies as a researcher A, only. Otherwise NO.

“Not Recommend”

~Mr. Abubakar Zia~ (From PAK)

(Masters’ Research fellow at KSU)

I think those guys who completed their degrees and got acceptance for the same degree in ksu, should not join and I will recommend. And same recommendation are also for those who are at good job position or post in Pakistan.

Because, time is most precious thing. Even just for masters’ degree the University will consume your 4 years of life.

Just analyze your current status and situation and make decision by yourself. It’s all that I feel.

Our brother Mr. Nisar Ahmad have written an excellent comment and I endorse his every word.

Yes, you are right Mubushar. Because during this period you can get a lot of other platform or opportunities for future. But all the things matter alot.

On the behalf of my TWO Years experience I shall “NOT Recommend” to any one to come here.

~Mr. Usman Tahir~ (From PAK)

(Masters’ Research fellow at KSU)

My Experience is quiet good and I will say if you have potential and zeal to work then this university have all facilities very well equipped labs in every department and very conducive environment for research activities provided here. so, on the behalf of my very short experience I recommend to all the student who completed there bachelor or master degree do apply and try your luck.

Best wishes for all of you in your future endeavors.

Finally, I shall “Recommend” you to join us.

~Zakaria Mohamed Hagi~ (From Somalia)
(Masters’ Scholar at KSU)

First, the University is so good in terms of facilities and system.

For new applicants, I would like to say that if you are a jobless person or you have much time and no worries about the how long it will take for your degree, then come and join.

While, if you are very sensitive to time then think twice. The reality is “At least the M.Sc degree will lasts about 3 to 3.5 years, even some students may stay longer than this range.

Everything is okay and acceptable Except the long study period.

To come close to the point I will “NOT Recommend” to anyone unless he doesn’t care about the time.

• Mr. Muhammad Afzal
  • Mr. Matloob Javed
  • Mr. Muhammad Usman Mughal
  • Mr. Muneeb ur Rehman
  • Mr. Ali Zeshan
  • Mr. Ahmed Raza
  • Mr. Umar Sial
  • Mr. Ali Shahzad
  • Mr. Ravaiz Khan
  • Mr. Qadir Khan

Looking forward to your response. Thanks in advance.

1. My Experience is quiet good and i will say if you have potential and zeal to work this university have all facilities very well equiped labs in every department and very conducive enviorment for research activities provided here so i will recommend to all the student who completed there bachelor or master degree do apply and try your luck😊

Best wishes for all of you in your future endeavours

1. Please does the university accept TOEFL score(ibt) and what is cutoff because I score 74 in the test .

2. Yes,if someone get a scholarship at King Saud University then he should avail the oppurtunity. According to my experiance, its one of the good place for increasing scientific knowledge and research skilss…especially for Ph.D. degree…..

3. Well, my respected and dear brother Shakeel Ahmad raised a very important question.

We all know, when anybody apply for a foreign degree/or scholarship, many factors control the selection of a specific country and the university itself i.e. University Ranking, Research Facilities, Funding or stipend, Expenses vs Savings (if any, if possible), culture and last but not least the total timing for the degree completion. .. These factors differ from person to person and region to region. As, for some, research quality is much more important than timing, while for others funding and culture is more important than the ranking of university….. In short, if you have already applied and got admission on scholarship from King Saud University (KSU)- Riyadh, which shows that now what you want to listen from us is much different from that what you would like to listen before your application.

I would like to quickly highlight some aspects to make your final decision easy. (Even if you are a new applicant, consider these before your application, this will be equally important for you as well)

1. Funding for Master Students… from KSU you will get free air ticket from your country (i.e. Pakistan) to riyadh. Free student housing, free medical, furnishing allowance for every newcomer and on above all this, you have 890 SR stipend per month. And you will also enjoy 3 months holidays with a free return air ticket from the university as well.

Wao, its looking like a dream come true. Yes it is and it could be.. but wait…

The most important from my side (and is considered the same worldwide) is the quality of research here, that is, not so bad and not to good, it is in between. It mostly depends on your abilities and interests. But you will have enough facilities to produce high impact factor ISI research papers. Well the last and the 2nd most important is the timing. Well, this is little disturbing. They have a previous record (and environment or you can say it as a trend) of 3 to 3 and a half year for a MASTER’S DEGREE. As you will have course work of about 26 to 32 credit hour course work (it is different in different departments). It takes usually 1.5 years (3 semesters). I would like to quote here, for some people this last condition is acceptable. So, is it for You?

2.Funding for PhD Students.. almost same benefits as for master student ..
    3. Funding for Master/PhD Researchers.. If you are being offered research visa for your degree, than you will get about 2900 SR (yes its enough as compared to 890 SR for students), but you have to pay some fees i.e. renewal of your ID card (they call it Iqama) and exit re-entry visa fees etc and some other expenses as well.

As for timing, you have 1.5 years (3 semesters) for coursework, than 1 semester for “Comprehensive Exam”.. You must have to pass this exam. If you fail you will get a change. If you fail again, you are wasted.. Wait .. wait… What? Yes you heard right.. If you fail comprehensive exam, all your efforts and timing just wasted.. and you have to go back or search for some other opportunity all from the start. And be careful, in engineering and agricultural sciences we have some examples as well. Reasons could be any.. but we have examples of failure. And if you pass, you have 1 semester for proposal.. and than go for research.. hopefully, you will try to finish your PhD in 4 years 🙂 🙂 (Oooh .. why not go to china for a 3 years PhD degree 🙂 🙂 )

4. Yes one extra benefit that i know, you have hidden there somewhere in your mind, you can do Umrah by yourself.. KSU also take some students for Umrah and Hajj free of cast, but not everyone get this free opportunity.

If you have no cultural or timing issues and you have mid to upper good GPA and and university is not asking for good IELTS bands… Then That’s it what you would like to be inspired to come and join King Saud University(KSU), Riyadh. I hope till now you have already made your mind 🙂 if so, then come on.. we are waiting for you. (I am here at KSU 🙂 , and do not judge me wrong, there were my own priorities that were not based on my CGPA=3.54 silver 2nd position or IELTS=6.5 + GRE + 1st prize for best student paper from my BS research at ATC 2012 Islamabad) 🙂 🙂 <3

If you ask me, why should i not come to KSU… I would say "Save Your Precious Time", if you have already wasted your time, and you have really good GPA/CGPA, and university is asking for IELTS bands. If you have good GPA and a professional degree (especially any engineering or practical professional physical sciences degree i.e Physics, chemistry, maths or geology etc) then please give it time and search for some scholarship in some european countries or even why not go to china. It is really easy now than it was 3 years back. On Facebook there is a group "Scholarship Network" follow it and also so many opportunities are there.. but the only problem is you have to give it time. Finding scholarship is not as easy as it is for applying here for KSU.. But believe that it is not as difficult as it looks at the beginning. Decision is yours. If you need help we all will help you.. I will, if nobody else.

4. Zakaria mohamed hagi
    Msc student.

Frist the University is so good interms of facilities and system.

For new applicants I would say if you are a jobless or you have much time and no worries about the how long it will take for your degree . Then come and joint .

If youre very sensitive to the time then think twice. The reality is At least the Msc degree lats about 3 to 3.5 years , even some students may stay longer than this range.

To come close the point I’m not recommended to you unless you dont care the time.

Except the long study period the rest everything is okay and acceptable.

5. TO my way of thinking, i believe that KSU is thousand times better than many Pakistani universities. The reason for highly recommendation or to support KSU studies are following:
    1- Research Facilities are extra ordinary especially in engineering departments (e.g.,instruments, Labortaries )
    2- With the help of the above facilities you can produce good impact factors papers on your master level and then you can join any top ranking university in the world for PHD on the behalf of master level achievements.
    3- As far as funding is concerned, i think students can get almost 2,000 SAR (scholarship amount + Department work).
    Above all, these above supporting points are fact based, because our so many closed friends are now doing PHD in the top most universities of the world ( ETH ZURICH SWITZERLAND, CURTIN UNIVERSITY AUSTRALIA,CANTERBURY NEW ZEALAND & SO MANY ARE IN FRANCE AND CANADA)just on the behalf of their master degrees from KSU. Finally, if someone has no any direct good opportunity in Pakistan and waiting for admission then i will recommend him join KSU, work hard and achieve your goals. Best Wishes for all of them who wants to study in KSU. Thanks to this platform which has given us a chance to share our ideas with all.

1. Dear Farhan Khan Babar, Nice to hear from you and thank you for your time. Now, can you please tell us that had/have you ever been a student at KSU? What kind of your affiliation is/was with KSU?
      Is this a purely experienced based comment or just observation? Please let us know because it is important.

Best Regards,

1. Brother i am enrolled student in Geology and Geophysics Department King Saud University…It is purely experienced based…Thanks

2. Please is it true that one must understand Arabic before being admitted or passed Arabic exam

1. University is changing its requirements specifically “arabic language course (ALC) will be required in future” regarding the admissions of international students. But still fro the admission 2017 the ALC is not mandatory.

6. Also do they accept TOEFL and what is their cutoff because I score 74 in toefl

1. Yes, accepted by different departments and cutoff can be seen from the eligibility criteria given by every department.