HEC: Islamic Development Bank (IDB) PhD and Post-Doc Merit Scholarship Program for academic year 2018-19 has been announced.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must meet the following basic criteria:
- Age not over (a) 35 years for Ph.D. study, and (b) 40 years for Post-Doctoral research on or before the deadline;
- Attached to a research/academic/development institution in science and technology in their respective country;
- Must possess the required academic background in the related field of their proposed study/research and have some professional/research experience in the respective field;
- Demonstrate that the research proposal has scientific and technological relevance with the objective of meeting the priority development needs of the country;
- Have good command of the language of the institution of study and the ability to conduct scientific work in it.
FIELD OF STUDY:
The Programme is designed to help promising research students to pursue a full-time three-year Ph.D. study in scientific disciplines that enhance development in IDB member countries in following fields of study;
Sustainable Agricultural, Education for Sustainable Development, Climate Change, Energy, Sustainable Cities, Responsible Growth, Waste Management, Population Growth, Green Chemistry, Biodiversity, Plastic Pollution and Micro Plastics, Water and Hygiene, Health, ICT for Development, Innovation & Infrastructure Development, Islamic Economics, Finance & Banking, and Development related Social Sciences.
The Programme is also designed to help researchers to undertake a six-twelve month specific innovative post-doctoral research project to address a problem-solving matter in member countries on the above mentioned fields of study.
PLACE OF STUDY:
The successful candidate for the PhD programme must secure admission at one of the renowned universities listed in the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES). Please visit the website: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings.
Priority shall be given to those Ph.D. applicants who have secured admission at universities that have concluded a cooperation agreement with the IDB such as
- University of Cambridge,
- University of Birmingham,
- University College London and.
- Imperial College London in the UK,
- Queen Merry University of London,
- Copenhagen University in Denmark,
- Princeton University in USA and,
- KAUST in Saudi Arabia, and
- McGill University in Canada
The successful candidates for Post-doctoral research are invited to undertake their research project at Research Centres of Excellence which have the facilities and equipment to undertake cutting-edge research projects, both in IDB member countries as well as in advanced countries.
The scholarship covers the following benefits and entitlements:
- All academic expenses
- Living allowances on single status basis
- Health Insurance
- Round trip air-tickets to and from place of study